Apply for Summer of Maps to receive geospatial data analysis project work for your nonprofit organization during summer 2017!
What is Summer of Maps?
Summer of Maps is a fellowship program that matches nonprofit organizations that have spatial analysis needs with talented students pursuing careers in geospatial data analysis to complete projects over a three-month period during the summer.
Check out this video to learn more about Summer of Maps.
What does my organization get?
Azavea is committed to improving impact and operations in the nonprofit sector – Summer of Maps provides data analysis services grants for nonprofit organizations – this means Azavea funds a summer fellowship for an advanced student to work with your organization at no cost.
If your organization is selected, a talented GIS student will work with our mentors to implement your geospatial data analysis and visualization project during the summer of 2017.
What do we mean by “geospatial data analysis and visualization”?
Here are a few examples:
- Arts & Culture: analyze geographic location of ticket sales and donations to both identify existing clusters and untapped markets
- Elections & Civil Rights: identify the sources of campaign contributions and measure the influence they have on the national political landscape
- Environment, Sustainability and Ecosystems: analyze the urban tree canopy and existing development to make a recommendation for future preservation
- Public Safety: analyze the impact of neighborhood indicators or other environmental factors on crime risk
- Public Health & Food: develop three potential sites for a new soup kitchen and perform a market analysis to determine how each will affect existing sites
- Community & Economic Development: analyze housing needs to determine the best site for a new low income housing development
- Transportation: identify the next 10 streets for the addition of bike lanes by scoring all street segments based on a variety of geographic criteria
How does my organization apply?
If your organization is interested in participating in Summer of Maps, please submit a project proposal by filling out the application. Applications are due Sunday, February 5, 2017.
To learn more about the Summer of Maps program, please visit www.summerofmaps.com. Read more about the impact of the Summer of Maps program. Applications for nonprofits are due Sunday, February 5, 2017.
Student fellowship applications will open in February 2017.
Become a Sponsor
Summer of Maps is organized by Azavea, but we are always looking for partners or sponsors! Please reach out if you are interested in sponsoring a fellow, mentor, or nonprofit organization for 2017!
If you would like more information about the Summer of Maps program or about ways you can get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.