Summer of Maps is a summer fellowship program that offers $5,000 to student GIS analysts to perform geospatial analysis work for non-profits
Philadelphia, PA, January 19, 2016 – Azavea, an award winning geospatial analysis (GIS) software development company is inviting non-profits nationwide to submit an application to be considered for its sixth Summer of Maps. Azavea Summer of Maps is a program that offers $5,000 stipends to student GIS analysts to perform free geospatial data analysis projects for non-profit organizations over a three-month period in the summer of 2016. The application process is organized into two phases. During this first phase, organizations have until Sunday, February 7 to submit their application at: http://www.summerofmaps.com
Last summer, three students from Swarthmore College, Temple University and Ohio State University worked on a diverse set of spatial analysis projects for a wide array of non-profit organizations, including the Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science; the Legal Clinic for the Disabled; The Greening of Detroit; the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society; the African Family Health Organization; and the Sunset Park Health Council dba Lutheran Family Health Centers.
From June to August 2016, the selected non-profit organizations will be able to:
- Receive a grant of analysis services from a skilled student GIS analyst to geographically analyze their data
- Visualize their data in new ways
- Combine their data with other demographic and geographic data
- Receive high quality maps and visualizations that can be used to support new initiatives or make a case to prospective funders
The fellows will:
- Work on a spatial analysis project that supports the social mission of two non-profit organizations
- Work with Azavea mentors to improve their GIS and project management skills
- Receive a monthly stipend
- Gain work experience implementing real-world GIS projects
For more information about Summer of Maps and to apply, visit: http://www.summerofmaps.com/
About Azavea – Azavea is a certified B Corporation that applies geographic data and technology for civic and social impact while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Find out more at https://www.azavea.com/.
If you would like more information about Azavea or to schedule an interview with Sarah Cordivano, Summer of Maps Project Manager, please contact Karissa Justice at (215) 558-6184 or e-mail email@example.com.