The Mythical City of Atlantis – just as legendary as GeoTrellis 0.8’s advanced geoprocessing power! (image credit)
The GeoTrellis team is very excited to announce the availability of GeoTrellis 0.8 (codename “Atlantis”), which is a major new release that is a huge step forward towards our goal of a general purpose, high performance geoprocessing library and runtime designed to perform and scale for the web.
First of all, you should check out our new documentation site — http://geotrellis.github.com/ — which features a great deal of new documentation and tutorial material. Credit is due to Rob Emanuele for the terrific new organization and layout.
Secondly, take a look at the Azavea Labs blog Adam Hinz recently published (example running above) which describes process of building a kernel density service using GeoTrellis that features some of the new 0.8 functionality. Adam’s post details step-by-step the development of a WMS service that should be helpful as you think about how you might develop your own services with GeoTrellis. It is a companion blog to the Azavea Atlas blog series being written by John Branigan that explores map algebra concepts through the process of creating a site suitability model using wildlife habitat preferences.
As you delve into GeoTrellis 0.8 in more depth, here are some new features you may want to explore:
- A new suite of raster operations in the focal category of map algebra.
- For more information, see: http://geotrellis.github.com/operations/raster/focal.html
- Simplified raster rendering with a built-in suite of color ramps for data cartography.
- For more information, see: http://geotrellis.github.com/overviews/rendering.html
- Zonal summary (by feature) operations, including a caching mechanism for tiled rasters for improved performance.
- For more information, see: http://geotrellis.github.com/operations/raster/zonal.html
- New vector feature framework for operations on points, lines, polygons with a suite of vector operations, as well as re-engineered rasterization operations.
- For more information, see: http://geotrellis.github.com/overviews/vector.html and http://geotrellis.github.com/operations/feature.html
Please let the team know — via the #geotrellis channel on Freenode IRC or the geotrellis-user Google Group mailing list — if you have any comments or suggestions. We will likely release a minor bugfix release (0.8.1) in the future.
Maven repository: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/
API Scaladocs: http://geotrellis.github.com/geotrellis/latest/api
Issue tracker: https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis/issues?milestone=3&state=open
Mailing list: https://groups.google.com/group/geotrellis-user
IRC: #geotrellis on freenode
GeoTrellis is released under the GPL V3 license.