Summer of Maps is a fellowship program that matches nonprofit organizations that have spatial analysis needs with top students pursuing careers in geospatial data analysis to complete projects over a three-month period during the summer.
From June to August 2020, the selected nonprofit organizations:
- Receive a grant of analysis services from a skilled student GIS analyst to geographically analyze their data
- Visualize their data in new ways
- Combine their data with other demographic and geographic data
- Receive high-quality maps and visualizations that can be used to support new initiatives, make a case to prospective funders, or advocate for a cause
Visit our Nonprofit Resource Guide for more information on requirements and guidelines for participating nonprofit organizations.
- Work on a spatial analysis project that supports the social mission of two non-profit organizations
- Work with Azavea mentors to improve their GIS and project management skills
- Receive a monthly stipend
- Gain work experience implementing real-world GIS projects
- December 4, 2019: Organization and student application opens
- January 7, 2020: Nonprofit Application Q&A webinar
- February 2, 2020: Organization and student application closes
- April 2020: Announce Student Fellows and Organizations
- June 2020: Fellowship starts
- August 2020: Fellowship ends, projects delivered to Organizations
We are looking for sponsors for the 2020 season of Summer of Maps. Please reach out if you are interested in sponsoring a fellow, mentor, or nonprofit organization for 2020! If you would like more information about the Summer of Maps program or about ways you can get involved, contact email@example.com.