OpenDataVote – a cooperative effort between Azavea, Tech Impact, Technical.ly Media, Code for Philly, the City of Philadelphia and others – gives social service and advocacy groups a platform to nominate data sets that are not currently openly available but which they need in order to support their mission, and the public an opportunity to vote for the data sets they believe their government should release first.
Organizations that serve the Philadelphia region have until Friday, March 31, 12:00PM to nominate data sets that could strengthen their programs and improve their services.
Nonprofits will receive prize money if their data set nomination receives the most votes during the public voting phase of OpenDataVote.
- Nomination: Nonprofit organizations nominate one or more existing data sets that would be useful to the organization, but aren’t currently available to the public.
- Voting: The general public votes for either their favorite organization or the data set they want to see released.
- Data Release: OpenDataVote Partners will work with government representatives to publish the data sets that receive the most votes from the public. Nonprofits will be awarded prize money from OpenDataVote Sponsors if their data nomination wins.
What does my organization receive?
- The nonprofit organizations that win the most votes from the public will receive cash prizes from our generous sponsors
- We will coordinate with the City of Philadelphia to follow through – the data set nominations that receive the most votes will be published on OpenDataPhilly
Is my organization eligible?
OpenDataVote is open to 501c(3) organizations based in Philadelphia or regional organizations with service area that significantly overlaps with Philadelphia. However, these organizations may receive votes for their proposed data set from anyone in the world. Please refer to the Rules & Eligibility page for more details.
Visit the OpenDataVote website to learn more about this cause and encourage nonprofit organizations to nominate data sets for a chance to gain access to data and win prize money for their organization.