It’s been frigidly cold here in Philadelphia this past week, but we are already thinking about the summer. I am pleased to announce the 2013 Azavea Summer of Maps. Summer of Maps offers fellowships to student GIS analysts to perform geographic data analysis for non-profit organizations. We are going to match up non-profit organizations that have spatial analysis and visualization needs with talented students of GIS analysis to implement projects over a three-month period during the summer. Here’s how it will work:
- Jan 21 – Sun, Feb 10, 11pm – Non-profit organizations can submit brief proposals for spatial analysis projects to Azavea
- Feb 11 – Feb 28, – Azavea program administrators review organizations
- Mar 1 – Sun, Mar 17, 11pm - Students submit proposals and applications
- Mid-March – Early April – Top candidates are interviewed in Philadelphia
- Mon, Apr 15 - Successful Summer of Maps fellows will be announced
- mid-May – August – Summer of Maps fellows work on spatial analysis projects
If you participated in the program last year, you’ll notice that we’ve moved the dates up a bit. If we make additional changes,we’ll post them on the main web page.
What’s in it for the non-profit orgs?
- Receive pro bono services from a talented student GIS analyst to geographically analyze and visualize your data
- Visualize your data in new ways
- Combine your data with other demographic and geographic data to draw new observations
- Receive high quality maps that can be used to make a case to funders or support new initiatives
What’s in it for the students?
- Work on a spatial analysis project that supports the social mission of a non-profit organization
- Work with Azavea mentors to improve your GIS skills
- Receive a monthly stipend
- Gain work experience implementing a GIS project
If you are a non-profit organization and have a project you would like to see implemented, please submit an application. Deadline is Sun Feb 10, 11pm EST. If you are a student, stay tuned – applications will open March 1, 2013.
Learn more about Azavea Summer of Maps at www.azavea.com/summer-of-maps/.
We want to thank the following organizations for sponsoring a fellow:
Big round of applause to them. Their sponsorships will enable us to expand the program this year.